Here are a couple things to keep in mind when writing a book review.
- Be specific! Tell the readers why you like the book or why you do not like the book. Its important to say why you feel the way you do about a book. It was your favorite book because of the loving sacrifice that was shown in the novel? Tell us what happened!
- Pick a side. A review is either good or bad. Ultimately a review is telling me your opinion on this book. If you can’t decide how you feel about it read it again, then write your review.
- Don’t write a summary of the book. I am reading your review to find out how you felt about it, not what happened in the book.
- Don’t be nasty. If you didn’t like the book, thats alright. Trashing the book and the author on a review just reflects poorly of you. There are plenty of ways to express your disappointment with the book other than being rude.
- Don’t make it a sequel. Reviews aren’t supposed to be novel length. Keep it relatively short and to the point.